New Phase of Protests – Increased Number of Arrestees
Ahwazi Centre for Human Rights
As we are entering a new phase of continuous protests, the arrestees number has increased. Iranian regime recently arrested Zainab Helichi with only 15 years old for chanting heroic poem during Eid Fitr in al-Majd district on Saturday the 16th of June 2018.
Iranian regime used live ammunition and tear gas to stop Ahwazi people from protesting in Al-Al-Mahammarah city. Several people were injured and one shot dead by the Iranian security forces. International human rights have called for sending an international
People of Al-Mahammarah and Abadan protested against the Iranian regime’s discriminatory policies where the regime is diverting water from Karoon and Karkheh rivers in Ahwaz to central part of the country is threatening the livelihood of the native environment and the farmers in the Ahwazi region, and also causing regular sandstorms and pollution for Ahwazi population. Due to water diversion Local water supplies have been undrinkable.
Dozens arrested in protest against undrinkable water in Al-Mahammarah (Khorramshahr) and Abadan. The people of the two cities of Al-Mahammarah (Khorramshahr) and Abadan gathered for a few days against Iranian regime’s policies diverting water from Karoon and Karkheh and not having a drinkable water.
On the night of 29th of June 2018, the forces of Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) raided peaceful gatherings in Al-Mahammarah and wounded a number of citizens. The people of Khorseh Mosay (Sarbandar), Abadan and Ahwaz city protests in support of Al-Mahammarah people. There were also a number of wounded citizens.
In Ahwaz, people demonstrated in the central market of Ahwaz (Naderi), there were serveral protesters arrested by the security forces. The security forces using CCTV cameras in the markets and streets, to identify and arrest protesters by bringing security forces and special forces from other cities.
Local activists say 160 people were arrested in Al-Mahammarah and 40 in Abadan.
The names of some of the detainees are as follows;
- Tariq Zehiri from Al-Mahammarah
- Yusuf Sayahi, from Al-Mahammarah
- Hossein Hosseinawi, from Al-Mahammarah
- Amin Menieat, from Al-Mahammarah
- Mostafa Ayadny 15 years old, from Al-Mahammarah
- Waleed Zehiri, 27, from Al-Mahammarah
- Waleed Eidani, 16, from Al-Mahammarah
- Hanji Shakhi, 25, from Al-Mahammarah
- Ghanem Nasseri, 45, from Al-Mahammarah
- Khalid Hamdi, from Al-Mahammarah
- Abdul Reza Asakereh, from Al-Mahammarah
- Jafar Eidani, 36, child from Abadan
- Fouad Baghlani, 45, from Abadan
- Mahdi al-Nasri, 30, from Abadan
- Abbas al-Baghlani, 28, from Abadan
- Hossein Amiri, from Abadan
- Aqil Salami, from Abadan
- Tamim Baghlani, from Abadan
- Reza Naseri, from Abadan
- Mohammad Bawi, 23 from Abadan
- Mahmood Tamimi, from Abadan
- Mansour Tamimi, from Abadan
The government didn’t stop there, in their football show they brought a fake Khuzestani citizen where he said there is no water shortage! Watch this video to give you a clear understanding of the water situation in Al-Mahammarah (Khorramshahr).
Ahwazi Centre for Human Rights